Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pod/Videocasts/Voicethread in classroom

Podcasting/Voicethread in the Classroom:

In this blog I am discussing the ideas of podcasting and using voicethreads in the middle school classroom.  Although the technology has changed somewhat, this concept of recording one's voice and comments has been around for quite a while. I remember as a young child making cassette tape recordings for my Grandmother, who lived too far away for us to visit, but she loved to hear our voices.  A podcast is really an extension of this in a digital format.  I used  to listen to a lot of podcasts, and after listening to a few from the Willowdale school, I can see how this could be applied to a class and how incredibly creative kids can be!  They are probably much more comfortable with the new technology than their teachers are.

I think part of the reason that I'm finding it a bit difficult thinking about using technology in the classroom is that technology wasn't used much when I was in the public school classroom.  We had a few computers at my elementary school, and they were used mainly for typing programs and very basic word processing.  I suppose now technology is integrated into the classroom, and students likely have much more access to it now than they used to.  So, I suppose it makes sense that we begin to look at using audio in the classroom for English Language Arts.  What a great way to get students to speak out in a format that is a bit 'safer' than public speaking!

I can see this being very effective for some students.  The opportunity to produce, direct, act, write, edit your own video/audiocast or voicethread uses a variety of skills and could easily be integrated into the PLO's for any grade.  For example, students could learn how to do research if they are doing interviews, and learn how to write/act in a play.  The obvious positive points are improving oracy, and through a way that perhaps even shy students can 'perform' in front of an audience, without having to have the audience in front of them.  They will hear their own voices, and even have the chance to have that voice heard around the world.

If the students are all working on a project together, such as commenting on a voice thread, then the students will work on their teamwork.  If every student has to make a comment on a piece of artwork, it can help the teacher see that the students are understanding.  Peer-learning is a very effective way to teach as well, and some more advanced students could be helping some of the less advanced ones.

Research/Sites/Links/Ideas: I did some research and looked into how this technology could be used in the classroom and found some interesting sites relating to voicethreads and podcasting in the classroom.  I decided to post the links here instead of re-iterating some of the great ideas that are in the below links.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - fairly simple open-source audio editing program

https://mysdlax.lacrosseschools.org/groups/couleekids/ - a good example of how podcasting can be used - by a middle school class

http://khanacademy.org - Although this is not podcasting/videocasting, the idea is definitely there.  This could definitely be a place the people go to get more information or ideas, or it is something they could do in the classroom.  I believe we're going to be learning more about the Khan Academy in our technology class coming up.  The flipped classroom idea is a fascinating idea!

http://millsmurfee.blogspot.com/  - a second grade class using podcasts

http://www.downs.kent.sch.uk/podcast/?pid=10&type=podcast&title=The+Downs+FM+%28Podcast%29 - a good example of a primary school using podcasts

http://chatt.hdsb.ca/~elses/boylit/Podcasting%20in%20Education - This site had some great ideas and direct links to some other useful podcasts, it's a great place to get some ideas about podcasting.

http://poducateme.com/guide/ - This site provided an interesting guide to podcasting and some ideas for it's use in education

http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com/ - a good site for getting some ideas about using voicethread in the classroom

http://voicethread.com/?#q.b908650.i4836718  - This was a good voicethread on some of the ways you can use these in a classroom.

My first voicethread: I thought I'd try making a quick voicethread just to try out the technology and perhaps some ideas for using voicethreads, etc...in the classroom.  Many of the ideas I got from the above links.  Upon reflection I had a lot of trouble with the technology, I found the program rather difficult to work with and I would need more practice to make a better voicethread and make it applicable to students.

Here's the link to my voicethread.  It's just got a few ideas in it about how it could be used in class but needs some more work to be a complete one,I just wanted to get an idea of the technology.

voicethread.com/share/2332734/



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ideas and links, good ideas - and sometimes overwhelming how many are out there (which is nice for us as our job is never dull).

    I checked out your voicethread - I noticed you used text rather than voice - and wondered about that. I like that you have the option for multiple methods of sharing.

    ReplyDelete